10 Surprising Things Husbands Miss About Being Single
1. Not explaining every purchase--Your man just won a vintage Kiss doll on eBay--for $200. Do you say "Congratulations" or "I thought we were saving for a vacation"? Let them get what they want sometimes, or else he doesn't feel respected. Expensive purchases or hobbies shouldn't become a hobby, but even then, don't come down on your man. Instead talk about a way to make it work financially.
2. Attending only one set of family events--When your guy hooked up with you, the number of his family obligations doubled. Don't make family plans without talking to him, and make a balanced schedule for celebrating major holidays. If you're traveling to your parents' home for Christmas, for instance, maybe stay at a hotel instead of their house, so your man can still be a hermit.
3. Looking unfashionable in public--If your man's dorky wardrobe embarrasses you, the problem is yours. You being afraid of being judged by other people based on what your man wears sucks for your man. Let him choose his own clothes on almost all occasions, and make the best of it. If there's a special event that you want him to look a certain way, give encouragement instead of orders.
4. Having a woman hang on every word of his stories—Men feel important when people are wrapped up in what they're saying. But it's hard to be into his stories when you've heard them all before. Still, cutting off one of his repeat stories cuts him down. Try to share his excitement. Also, when he comes home, run to give him a kiss, and ask him how his day was. You'll get to hear new stories for a change.
5. Being a slob--Guys miss tossing things around wherever they want without getting yelled at. When you come down on him over making a mess, you seem less like a partner and more like a parent. Set aside an area where your man can be sloppy without consequences and schedule chores for both of you so you're not always picking up after him.
6. Having an entire bed to himself--It has nothing to do with loving you. They like spreading out. They also like the luxury of snoring without anyone telling them to knock it off. A king-size mattress means you can each claim some real estate. Also, get a quilt that's one size larger than your bed. That way, you won't annoy each other by stealing it.
7. Not sharing in the stress of your day-or talking about his feelings--You're waiting for him to walk through the door so you can tell him about your day. But that can feel overwhelming. Women think their man's job is to fix the problem. Give him a half-hour-long breather before bombarding him, and when you do, make it clear you want sympathy, not solutions. At the same time, know that men tend to prefer to sit silently when something's bugging them. If he's on the couch looking upset but says nothing's wrong, don't believe nothing's wrong. But leave him alone and if he wants to talk, he will.
8. His mom and her unconditional love--This can be a good thing. It means you're not mothering and smothering him. Still, he may want to hang with her from time to time. Don't fill that void-instead, encourage him to call her every week and arrange occasional just-them outings. Show him you value his mom, too. Go out with her once in a while, even if she's not your favorite person and ask her how to make your man's favorite dish, even if you think it's awful.
9. Making little decisions--Men usually defer to their women's preferences because it's an easy way to get along. If you choose the radio station in the car, the painting on the wall and everything else, your man may feel left out. Instead of always saying, "Hey, let's watch this movie", try asking, "What movie would you like to watch?" once in a while. And if you really can't stand your husband's tastes in something more permanent like furniture, at least go shopping together so you can compromise.
10. Openly checking out other women--Men are visual creatures, so giving a hot woman a quick up-and-down is a hard habit to break. If you get upset about it, your man might feel guilty and trapped. He's just noticing and appreciating beauty. It doesn't mean he wants to sleep with the woman. Try to shrug it off, as long as his double-takes aren't frequent.