I was lucky enough to be able to see "Oz: The Great and Powerful" last night and as somone who LOVES "The Wizard of Oz" and "Wicked"...I was a little skeptical because how could this film live up to these two great films....well, I'm not going to lie, "The Wizard of Oz" is a classic, but "Oz: The Great and Powerful" for sure stands on it's own and it's a GREAT film!!
It was funny, sweet, filled with action and the acting was great! Everyone was so wonderful but I do have to say Michelle Williams as "Glinda" is FANTASTIC! She reminded me of the original "Glinda" - but really everyone is fantastic!
I don't want to say much because I don't want to spoil anything but I totally recommend the movie! In the meantime...
TEN THINGS YOU MIGHT HAVE NOT KNOW ABOUT "OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL"
1. Robert Downey Jr. & Johnny Depp were both offered the role of Oz...then it went to James Franco
2. Blakey Lively was offered the role of "Glinda" but choose to do another movie instead! Phew...because Michelle was perfect!
3. At the start of the film, Oz works with the circus company "Baum Brothers Circus." This is a reference to L. Frank Baum, the original author of the Oz series.
4. This film allowed Sam Raimi and Danny Elfman to patch things up after their falling out during the post-production Spider-Man 2.
5. The movie tried very hard to not make any references to the original film "Wizard of Oz" because they wanted the film to stand on its own and MGM still owns the rights to the film!
6. L. Frank Baum wrote 14 novels between 1900-1920, all set in the same fantasyland. Oz The Great and Powerful is a film prequel to Baum’s books.
7. James Franco, who plays Oscar Diggs (aka Oz), had to learn magic tricks in order to accurately portray his small-time, circus magician character. He arrived to the Oz set two weeks early so he could work with
8. There are over 3,000 props used in Oz The Great and Powerful, with 1400 of them manufactured specifically for the film.
9. Rachel Weisz, Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams play the three witches Evanora, Theodora and Glinda in Oz The Great and Powerful. All three have special powers that emanate from natural elements. Evanora has the power to create lightning, Theodora can make fireballs appear, and Glinda commands water.
10. James Franco has only one costume in the film—the three-piece suit that Oz is wearing when he is hurled away from