On this day (Dec 10th) in 1967, Otis Ray Redding, Jr. and members of the Bar-Kays were among several people who died in a plane crash in Wisconsin. Redding was an American singer, songwriter, record producer, arranger and talent scout. He is considered one of the greatest singers in popular music. His singing style was powerfully influential among soul artists of 1960s and helped exemplify the Stax sound.
After appearing at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, Redding wrote and recorded the iconic "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" with Steve Cropper. The song became the first posthumous number-one record on both the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B charts after his death in a plane crash.
1. Cheese--Full-fat cheese is packed with protein, so a small amount will satisfy you quickly, which means eating some of the real deal may actually help you lose weight. Choose hard, full-flavor cheeses like Parmesan or aged Gouda, because their sharp taste helps you conquer cravings fast. These cheeses are slightly higher in calories than soft ones like Brie, but they have more protein. Stick with 1 oz-or four to five small cubes-per day.
2. Champagne--At 100 calories per 5-oz serving, champagne is one of the few naturally low-calorie beverages you can always reach for without counting calories in your head. But stick to just one glass per evening: Because of the carbonation, your body will absorb champagne faster, which means you'll feel the effect sooner than with other alcoholic beverages.
3. Roasted Nuts--The ideal pairing for a happy hour cocktail, nuts are full of fiber, which can help keep your blood sugar levels stable and lower your risk of type 2 diabetes. They are high in calories, so use this rule to avoid overdoing it: Take a small handful and put it on your plate at the beginning of a party. Munch on that amount instead of grabbing nuts throughout the evening.
4. Dark Chocolate Truffles--Dark chocolate is loaded with blood pressure- and cholesterol-lowering antioxidants. And new research shows that those antioxidants can also boost your mood and calm your body's stress response. Go for one truffle-or two squares of dark chocolate containing 70% (or higher) cocoa-per day.
5. Red Wine--A study found that moderate consumption of red wine (one 5-oz glass per day for women) may help keep off weight gain thanks to piceatannol, a compound that might slow fat cell growth. Stick with one glass per evening and sip slowly.
6. Shrimp Cocktail--This seafood appetizer is high in protein and omega-3 fats, which means it can help you stay fuller longer and help lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease. The best part is it's also low in calories. You can fill up on nine medium shrimp for just 50 calories.
7. Spinach-Artichoke Dip--A small portion of a rich dip that contains fat can help hunger hormones, which means you'll fill up quicker on less. Also, consider what you're pairing with an indulgent dip: Load an appetizer plate full of low-calorie and fiber-filled vegetables. Cap your intake at two medium-size spoonfuls of dip per party.
3 Rules to Stay Slim This Holiday Season
1. STOP SKIPPING MEALS--If you skip food during the day to save up for a big party in the evening, think again. Skipping meals slows down your metabolism and can encourage you to overeat by sundown.
2. BALANCE WITH LIGHTER CHOICES--If you know that dinner will be heavier than usual, keep your day's food fresh and healthy.
3. WATER, SLEEP AND EXERCISE--Sounds simple, but these habits are extremely important to keep you on track throughout a hectic season. Less of any of them can lead to unwanted weight gain.
photo credit: getty images
Vodka and tequila have nothing on the world's most popular liquor, which you may have never tried, or heard of. It's a South Korean booze called soju, which has topped a best-selling-drink list for years and sold 65 million cases this year alone.
It's popular because its alcohol content is usually around 25%, which is perfect for a few refills without passing out.
Bars from London to New York to San Francisco are hawking soju drinks, often with sweet fruit flavors to make them go down easy.
Free Beer For Picking Up Trash
Amsterdam has a heck of a deal for alcoholics… beer to pick up trash off city streets. They also get half a packet of rolling tobacco, free lunch, and about $13 a day. The city say's they're not promoting alcoholism, but trying to limit the negative effects. They give the cleaning crews a can of beer in the morning, maybe two cans at lunch, and another can or two at the end of the day.They say rather than just telling alcoholics to "shape up" they are giving them a job, and limiting and controlling the amount of alcohol they have all day, and no hard stuff.
photo credit: shutterstock
There's new video footage showing the moment two planes carrying skydivers crashed in mid-air.
The group of nine divers cheated death when the two Cessnas collided 12,000 feet above Wisconsin, near Lake Superior.
The footage was filmed from the skydivers' own helmet cameras as they plummeted towards the ground.